Under COVID-19 rules, there is a limit of 12 people inside the Gundaroo Literary Institute.
The Gundaroo Literary Institute and Library is a historic building in the main street of Gundaroo. The land houses the Gundaroo Fire Brigade. Over the years, the building has been used as the local library, a social centre and a meeting room for public groups and trusts of the village. It is currently used by the Gundaroo and District Historical Society for its meetings and exhibitions.
The Literary Institute was built in 1888 by William Affleck as a cottage for rent. In 1897 when a member of the NSW parliament, he donated the land and building to the village’s Mutual Improvement Society which used it as a place of learning, library and reading-room. More information on the history of the building can be found here.
Management of the Gundaroo Literary Institute and Library was established under a private trust with the first trustees being John Wishart Cameron Affleck (William Affleck’s son), Gerald Murray Clarke Massy, and postmaster, William Ralph Clemenger.
Ian Jones, President